Foursquare recently split itself into two apps, the main Foursquare app for discovery and a new Swarm app for check ins. The company today released version 8.0 of the Foursquare app with an all-new design and a focus on personalised recommendations for restaurants and other places.
Not all Foursquare users were happy with the app splitting up into two, but the updated Foursquare app reveals the company’s vision for the future of the product. From the Foursquare blog:
There’s no reason why we should all get the same recommendations when looking for a place to eat, drink or shop. Getting a one-size-fits-all list of places may have been innovative in 2006, but it feels downright antiquated now. Our tastes are all different, so why should we all see the same results?
The app’s release notes describe the new features in detail:
Foursquare is all about searching and discovering great places, wherever you are in the world.
- Tell Foursquare your favorite things and it gets to know you. Every search is tailored to your tastes, your past ratings, and picks from friends and experts you trust.
- Your tastes can be very specific like “whiskey” or “salted caramel.” Or more general like “outdoor seating” or “used bookstores.”
- Leave tips to share your best discoveries. Pay it forward and earn expertise.
- Search for restaurants, coffee, nightlife, shops, and more. See what’s nearby or plan ahead.
- When you arrive at a place, see insider tips: what’s good to order or something not to miss.
- Follow people and influencers whose tastes you trust, and their tips show first. Connect your Facebook and twitter accounts and see spots your friends have liked nearby.
If the app hasn’t been automatically updated, you can download the update via the Updates tab in the App Store app or use the iTunes link below.
Let us know what you think about the updated Foursquare app in the comments below.
➤ Foursquare 8.0 for iOS – free