Starbucks has released a new version of their iPhone app to finally add support for Passbook. It was the most eagerly awaited app that comes with Passbook support.
In addition to paying from Starbucks for iPhone, you can now add a Starbucks Card to Passbook, which can then be used to pay at over 6,800 U.S. company-operated Starbucks and 2,000 Target and Safeway locations.
Here’s how to add your Starbucks Card to Passbook in iOS 6:
- After installing the new version of Starbucks app (v2.4 or later), launch the app, it will prompt you to add your Startbucks Card to Passbook, tap on the Ok button. You can also add your Starbucks Card to Passbook by tapping on the Manage button, followed by the Add Card to Passbook button.
- It will then prompt you to add your favorite stores. Since the Passbook app is location aware, it will automatically display the Starbucks Passbook on your Lock screen when you reach one of your favorite Starbucks stores. To add Favorite stores to Passbook later, just set your favorites via the ‘Stores’ tab (Stores -> Set a Favorite Store).
- The app will now process the information to create your Passbook.
- Tap on the Add button to add the Starbucks Card to Passbook.
- Launch the Passbook app. You should now see the Starbucks card in Passbook.
- Tap on the info (i) button on the Starbucks Card to enable automatic updates, which will automatically update the account balance.
That’s it, the Starbucks Card in Passbook will be automatically displayed on your iPhone’s Lock screen when you walk into your favorite Starbucks store.
Starbucks’ implementation for Passbook is perfect and should be used as an example by other developers while adding Passbook support to their app.
Passbook support seems to have been added only to the Starbucks app in the U.S. App Store. You can download the update via the App Store app on your iPhone or using this iTunes link.